Flying to New York, a couple of months later, we filmed a video for ‘ Give it All You Got’ with Director Marcel Anciano on top of a semi-built skyscraper in the middle of Time Square. The video was cool when it was finished. All we had to do now was salvage the whole thing by touring the arse off it. And we did. Playing 70 concerts from London to Hamburg to LA to New York and back again, we spent most of the year on the road.

Supporting Roy’s and my old heroes Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson in UK and Europe, The SLeez Beez, Enuff Z Nuff, Badlands and Gun in the US, I got back to the UK later in the year in need of a rest. We had covered a lot of shows where the other singer had suffered with his voice, so we played several shows in Florida on our own. The concerts in the States had been particularly well received and the band wanted to return and continue.

But June 19, 1990 at ‘Toads’, in New Haven Connecticut, was the last gig I played with SHY.

After returning home, I went home to Surrey and rested. I never heard from the band for 3 months. Wondering why all had gone quiet, I spoke to one of the guys, who politely informed me that a fresh batch of songs had been written and that I was just to come back to Birmingham and sing them. Obviously, I was not happy. Hell, what were they like ? Who had written what ?

When I got to UB40’s studio in Birmingham and listened to the songs, I thought the band had completely lost the plot and had just written what sounded to me like a poor attempt to be ‘Poison’. I sang on the demos; after all, I was still receiving a wage for being a member of this band, and left the studio.


On November 19, 1990, I called a meeting with the A&R man, Mark Dean, who had signed the band to MCA and informed him of my intentions to leave the band and record a solo project. To my surprise, he said that he didn’t blame me, and promptly offered to pay me an advance as a solo artist to stay on with MCA and to commence writing immediately !!!
The next day, I called another meeting with SHY and politely informed them that I’d had enough and I was calling it a day. To be honest, no-one really seemed that bothered, so I had obviously made the right decision.


I left SHY. This was mainly for two reasons. The first was the simple fact that we were growing apart, and any camaraderie we ever had, had long disappeared. The second was my continual complacency with the style of music. Long before I ever joined Shy (and the session work I undertook for their prototype ‘Trojan’ ) I was involved with far heavier projects such as ‘Overdrive’ , Orion’ , and ‘Enigma’, although my tastes in music were very diverse. On leaving Shy, there was without doubt, a desire to return to music that was stronger, more dynamic and carried a message rather than a commercial overtone. Although this was my immediate intention, it did not happen automatically.

Bizarrely, MCA offered me a solo contract upon my announcement to leave the band and promptly paid for some co-writing with Bob Maxim from Manchester rockers ‘KIXX’. This work was carried out in a Manchester studio with ‘ TheWHO’ producer, Andy Macpherson’ who proceeded to involve members of 10CC and Sad Café to carry out the instrumentation and the backing vocals. These recordings were hawked around the U.S.; whilst MCA were happy to offer the deal, and after many companies in the States had showed serious interest, the manager in his dissatisfaction came back to the U.K. to find that all offers had dwindled and there was now nothing left on the table.

So I was left with unreleased recordings, feeling that time had been wasted. Before long, I was approached by a gentleman by the name of Nigel Marshall who had previously been a fan, offering finance to set up and support a personal project of my own, allowing me to indulge myself and my ideas without any hang ups. Obviously this was a great surprise and I set about building a studio at my home in Solihull. I started writing material that suited my tastes in heavier music. I was now approached by Darren Horton, former guitarist of B’ham bands ‘Trident’ and ‘Sweet Revenge’. He also played guitar for a while with ‘Marshall Law’. Darren wanted to co-write and generally experiment and our aims were mutual.

Things progressed, with the arrival of Chris Ward Evans, formerly of ‘Bajjon’ and ‘Hellion’, stateside rockers. After many months of writing, we poached a bass player from a Coventry based act, ‘Bang Bang Zombie’. His name was Andy Faulkner. It was sometime before we decided on a drummer, so in the interim, we carried on using machines right up to the point of recording our first album. The name of the project was skirted around for many months finally landing with
‘Siam Slam’. Eventually, and thankfully, we lost the ‘slam’.


Siam moved into the studio in 1993 to record a project that was close to completion stage, although the drummer situation still had not been resolved. During the writing stage, the intention was to title the album, ‘Soul Destroyer’. This was a concept project, political in nature, cataloguing the birth of a child destined to be a prolific political figure, with her eventual downfall waiting for us at the end of the story. It was realised, many months into the project, that time and money would not extend to the requirements of the project, and many cuts were necessary. However, the original album came out, in it’s closest possible version of its intended format.

The original title track ‘Soul Destroyer’, has been sadly lost, as during the writing and recording, I was forced to move base three times ending up in an eight by six rehearsal room as a home for six weeks with one green light bulb! This was a difficult period and having to sleep in between the mixing desk and the amplifiers, I naturally ended up recording other bands at their request to earn money. The band members were very supportive, and I moved into Chris Ward Evans home in Bournville during the recording, and later rented a house with Darren Horton and Alex the engineer that was recording the project. For six weeks we even lived in a caravan on the studio car park !

A drummer was finally chosen, Pano Moularis, although the decision was made too late, and a session drummer by the name of Rob Ewins was eventually employed. I had worked with him in Coventry for a pop act called ‘Series Red’ later renamed ‘Push’ a couple of years previously in 1989.. He was a fine drummer and recorded the complete album in 48 hours, quite a feat. In many ways, this helped us, leaving more time for other production matters. The album, completed eventually, titled ‘The Language of Menace’, was named after the phrase describing the propaganda circulated over political uprisings in the 19th Century. As indeed, ‘Cato St’, a location in London was also a place of political uprising recorded in many reports of the same period. Other titles were indicative of their part in the great scheme of things, and indeed much was omitted in the end, to the extent that the Japanese separated the songs and treated them all individually as separate entities, juggling the running order of the album. The album was released in Europe through Now and Then Records, the company pioneered by Mark Asheton.



During the mixes of the album, which was recorded at Rich Bitch studios by Mark Bruce, the studio owners, Rob and Linda Bruce offered to manage the band and help secure a contract, offering rehearsal facilities and a showcase facility in their dance studio, where videos were recorded, some of which can be seen on footage included on the albums eventual subsequent re-release in 2002 by Roy Davis’ Phoenix Music .The album received mixed reactions, but a tour with ‘Crown of Thorns’ widened public awareness of the band.




Realeased through Now & Then Records.

Many showcases both in Birmingham and London at Nomis Studios.
Many press interviews / reviews ensued, as they do, and then .....quiet. I was very aware for the need for bigger and better material to be written and released, but the following year was lost on showcasing for recording companies, acoustic concerts and recording several session albums for other bands.


I had to say goodbye to both Darren Horton and Chris Ward Evans during 1995, but Andy and Pano stayed, and we searched remorselessly for other guitarists. I literally fell over a remarkable young guitarist by the name of Ian Richardson, playing covers in the famous Birmingham rock venue, ‘The Old Railway’. This is a venue that spawned most of the bands I have ever worked with, and it is as live today, as it was in 1980 when Overdrive and Enigma rocked the place. We shook hands and he joined. We worked together for many months and auditioned many guitarists, they even came from abroad. Eventually, Marcus Thurston answered the advert, he was living with his guitar at the YMCA in London. He quickly moved to Birmingham and rented a flat in Moseley and was quite a virtuoso.



Months of writing and rehearsing, gave us a body of material that was enough to move back into Andy’s studio ‘Sable Rose’ and begin recording a new album. Andy booked us in for six weeks. Six months later, having missed the summer of 1996 completely, as the studio was underground, we walked back up the stairs to the outside world clutching a final DAT master of the new album ‘Prayer’. I considered, and still do, that it was without doubt the finest material I have ever written and recorded. Weeks and weeks of fine tuning and re-recording instruments in different ways, hi-jacking flute players from the sub ways of Coventry, to enhance moods in songs, sending rough mixes to Zero records in Japan and getting responses like ‘this is weird, it does not sound like Shy ! Tony’s fans will not understand it!!!’

In the end, I was very happy with the result. But although I considered this project to be a major achievement, it never escalated beyond the realms of an underground album, released by independent labels in Japan and Germany. The availability of appropriate tours for the band were nil, and I never had the desire to pay to play in small venues. Some acoustic shows were performed, and a live album recorded at the Rock Café in Birmingham although the record company concerned never released the tapes to us, and it lies unheard and unmixed somewhere on a shelf in the north of England.
As it all dwindled away in the late nineties, I couldn’t help but think of the bands potential had it had more finance behind it and better managerial guidance.



Released through Zero Corporation in Japan.


After Siam’s second album ‘Prayer’ had received its reviews and its handful of shows to support it (mainly acoustic unplugged shows around the Birmingham area) it dwindled into obscurity. I was under pressure from various members of the band just to play low key gigs, which I did not want to do, so I didn’t. There’s nothing worse than paying to play. After you’ve hired PA and lights and people to operate them, without a large audience, you soon find yourself out of pocket. A large audience, more often than not comes with having decent marketing campaigns and heavy bouts of airplay. Both of these things can cost money and in my experience are impossible to get a hold of without a major record contract to finance them. Having showcased to no end of major labels, and having no deal at the end of it all, I would rather have let ‘Prayer’ die without trying to kid myself for a year or two afterward, that a major should sign it. The album had received an underground acclaim and had received releases in both Europe and Japan and I felt that was enough.

As there was no money to support SIAM as such, the band followed the fate of their last album, as most bands do, and starved to death from lack of attention.

I decided to give up the music scene more than once, but no more than I did at this time, as I really felt proud of ‘Prayer’ and considered it my finest hour.

A lot of the credit for SIAM was deserved by Andy Faulkner, who, as a bassist and a sound engineer, had a fine ear for sonics, all be it moreso when he was stoned. I admired that. We always had a great laugh working with Andy and every session ended up with a master tape that I was always very satisfied with. In fact, any work that I was asked to do, I would only record with Andy. Or any musician who asked for recommendations for recording studios or engineers, I always suggested Andy first.

Around this time, there was talk in the press of me auditioning for ‘Judas Priest’. I had been approached by the band although I presume they did not really want any names mentioned in the press, as all went quiet after a well known British Rock magazine had let the cat out of the bag.

Having been an avid Priest fan through the eighties, the initial challenge of this seemed quite attractive, but to be honest, I could never see myself singing ‘Grinder’ with a serious expression on my face. I was always more of a fan of albums like ‘Sad Wings of Destiny’. In my view, Priest had become a parody of themselves in later years and I wasn’t really that concerned in the end, when nothing came of it all.

I had been approached some years before, by John Sykes, to sing for his band ‘Blue Murder’. To be honest, I always thought he had a great voice and had no need to find a singer for his band at all. Cozy Powell had also stressed an interest in me singing for his band, but sadly, he died pretty much around the same time.

In and around other activities through the mid nineties, I wrote and worked with Simon Harrison, guitarist of ‘Atlantic’ fame, who’s vocalist Phil Bates went on to become frontman for The Electric Light Orchestra’. Simon had also worked with Michael Bolton in the States and we found we had a lot in common. A production deal with his company Pylon Productions in Evesham, bought many session musicians to his studios, including Micky Barker from Magnum and UB40’s saxophonist.

Birmingham drummer Ian Danter also worked with Simon and myself as did various guitarists including Steve Harris and some fine backing vocalists and keyboard players. The union lasted around twelve months until low resources pushed the project into decline.

‘Let Love Rain Down’ was one of the songs that came from this session. The song is listed in error on the reverse of ‘Cruiser’ , but will feature in my second solo project. Over twenty other compositions remain unheard by the outside world and they will probably remain that way. The project was entitled ‘Dakota Joe’. Various issues forced this union to diminish, not least finance.

Other sessions during this period , were a full album of backing vocals and stand in rehearsal for ‘Dave Hill’s Slade’ at Rich Bitch in Birmingham – and I never got paid !! Two albums as featured backing vocalist with ‘Dante Fox’, and another with ‘The Shock’ through ‘Now and Then Records’.

I had a crack at management in the mid ‘90’s too, with a remarkable artist by the name of Simon Bishop. He plays guitar and carries lead vocals real well too, in a powerful act called ‘Seven Cycles’. Check them out if you ever get a chance. Two of his songs ‘Love is Red’ and ‘Soma’ are awesome. He still plays around the Midlands.

Production was also something I had a go at, looking after three bands that were handled by my previous manager Barry Keen.‘Tanktop’ were a Suede meets Oasis type act that unfortunately came to little, though the sound engineering by Simon Bishop at the ‘Old Smithy’ in Worcester was stunning and they proved most energetic in a live situation. ‘Gigantic’ were a far more electric sounding three piece with a lady behind the kit whose fortune also seemed short lived. ‘Cariad’ were somewhat more of a traditional acoustic/pop band with loads of attitude, there greatest song being ‘Paris’. Showcases for all of these bands in both London and Birmingham, brought them nothing and they faded away. After lack of success with these projects, we had a meeting with Bob Halford’s son Nigel, and his band, with a view to management. but nothing became of this and Barry retired to the south coast.

As these pastimes seemed to be doing me no favours at all, I gave in to the urge to sing once more.


In 1997, I joined a RUSH tribute band by the name of ‘YYZ’. I toured around the U.K. doing two hour shows of RUSH’s material dating from the late 70’s, to the early 90’s. I had always been an avid fan of RUSH, and admired all three musicians believing them to be the finest rock musicians in the world. There cannot be many people into rock who would disagree.

Playing in tribute bands, seems to be something that a lot of people do these days for the money. For me, it was the love of the RUSH themselves. I did not expect to become so tired of doing impressions of Geddy Lee as soon as I did though. The pure lack of creativity in emulating someone else bored me to tears. There was no challenge in it. It was all too predictable. The best part of a year had gone by, and I had had enough.

I avoided any real work in the music business for the next year or so, having become totally disillusioned with it. People kept urging me to sing and write another album and play live again, but I couldn’t find any enthusiasm whatsoever.

Something has to be said here, though. Once the music business is in your blood, you never shake it off. One way or another, it will always come knocking on your door again, and you will open it and let it in.

The contact of Mark Alger at Z Records, had once again revitalized me.
Roy Davis was someone I never really lost contact with, and by now he had his own company ‘Phoenix Music’ up and running and was releasing old catalogue of Midlands bands for people to purchase on the Internet.

I thought then, that Roy really had his shit together and I was right. Roy had several dealings with Mark Alger and talk had come up of a reforming of SHY.

Obviously, as you can imagine, I was very dubious of this. All the old problems rearing their ugly heads etc, etc.,

But the ball was really in my court here. I could either take it or leave it. As my old colleague Alan Kelly had moved a million miles away, he would not be involved. I doubt whether we could have worked together again anyway. I certainly would have preferred not to. Everything else seemed to be the same as it was, only the need to find a drummer.

Roy had spent some time managing a band called ‘The Wild Family’ from Wales. The drummer was a guy called Bob Richards and seemed to be shit hot. A drum teacher, in fact.

A couple of meetings down the line with Steve Harris and Roy Davis saw us discussing a contract with Z Records and possible recording studios to work in. Well, Andy Faulkner at Sable Rose studios in Coventry would be my obvious choice and so I suggested this. In 1999, I agreed to sign a deal with Z Records to record a new album with SHY. We signed the deal in 2000 and moved into the studio in November of that year. Z Records were expecting the project to take four months max. Little did they realize, the album would not see the light of day, for another year and a half.



Back To Top

All Material © 2002 Tony Mills  ~  Contact Admin@tonymills.net 
     Website by

Easyspace - your perfect partner for the web